The firmware is the program that runs on the KICK. You can easily update this firmware using a Mac, Windows or Linux computer.
Updating the firmware is straight forward. You connect it to your computer, it turns up as a USB drive. You copy the new firmware to the KICK folder and disconnect. Here are the details:
Step by step
Before you begin, download the firmware you want to install. And please make sure your KICK is fully charged.
- Turn off the KICK by pressing the ON/OFF button
- Connect the KICK to your Mac, or Windows PC with a USB cable.
- Turn on the KICK while you hold down the WB+ button. Both the ON/OFF button and the Connect button will show a green light.
(Windows will now automatically install the right drivers for the Kick and this may take a minute or two. Do not disconnect the KICK or turn it off while the drivers are being installed.)
- The KICK will now appear as a removable flashdrive or USB stick on your desktop.
- Open the folder named KICK.
Check the file name:
—If you see a file called firmware.bin you have an older KICK and you need to do a bootloader update before you proceed.
—If there is a file called Kick_<something-or-other>.bin and a file called readme.txt proceed to the next step:
- Delete the file with a name starting with ‘Kick_’ and ending with ‘.bin’. This is the old firmware.
- After deleting the old firmware file, drag or copy the new firmware file into the KICK folder.
- Eject the KICK. (This is to ensure your computer is done copying the file).
- On a Mac: Select the KICK icon on the desktop and press Command+E. Or choose File from the top menu on the desktop. Then select Eject.
- On Windows: Click on the icon in the System tray called “Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media”. Click “Eject KICK”
- You now have the new firmware installed.
- Disconnect the USB cable and turn the KICK off and on again.
You connect the Kick but the computer does not seem to do anything:
- If you are on Windows, make sure you connect to a USB 2.0 port. Connecting KICK to a USB 1.0 port may or may not work.
- Make sure you hold down the WB+ button when you turn on the Kick. The WB+ button is the adjustment button nearest to the ON/OFF button. It is marked with a + symbol. Both the ON/OFF button and the Connect button will show a green light when the KICK is in firmware update mode.
Windows reports that it can’t install the drivers
- You may have to be connected to the internet in order for Windows to locate the right USB drivers. If the problem persists, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
After updating the firmware the KICK can’t be turned off or it can’t be turned on
- If the ON/OFF button does not work, press the reset button using a paperclip through the small hole between the USB connector and the charging light. There is a little button behind that hole. Don’t use force. You will feel a little click and the KICK will reset and turn on again.
The firmware did not update, or the KICK does not work after updating.
- The old firmware must be deleted; it is not enough to copy new firmware over the old one.
- Make sure the battery on the KICK is not completely depleted. The KICK does not charge while being updated.
- Try it again.
- It you’re stuck, email us at email@example.com
Any other issues:
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org